Chestnut Oak Fibers

Pam Baker Howard - Weaver~Fiber Artist~Teacher - Brasstown, North Carolina

Monday, May 31, 2010

Teaching is a Wonderful Thing!

Penelope, Pam and Rivkah




Over that last month I have talked about teaching a class at Yarn Circle.  The class was called Dyeing to Weave on a Rigid Heddle Loom.  It was a class where students first dyed their wool yarns, then learned how to warp and weave on a rigid heddle loom.  My two students, Penelope and Rivkah did a great job with it all.  During that time I realized that both were enjoying what they were learning.  There was an age difference between the two students, but it didn't matter.  They both were very happy in what they created.  Rivkah went on to not only weave her scarf, but went home and knitted a hat and a purse with her left overs.  As a teacher I was thrilled, and felt like I had done my job.

I must say that it does take a special type of person to be a teacher.  Someone who can instruct a subject in a clear and calm manner. I know when I look for teachers to teach at the John C. Campbell Folk School, I look for someone who is knowledgable, easy going, calm, fun and creative.  Things I would look for a teacher if I was to take their class. Over the years I have realized that not everyone enjoys teaching..  When I was about to enter college I told my Mother I wanted to be a teacher.  Her being a teacher herself said...WHY???  I said "why not".   Well she explained that I really had to make sure that I wanted to teach.   Well I then decided to make take another path and do work that after a few years I grew to dislike.  In the meantime, I started teaching weaving, spinning and dyeing classes on the side.  After a number of years, I realized that I really did want to be a teacher after all.

Lucky for me, I get to teach at the John C. Campbell Folk School, Yarn Circle and assorted guilds and conferences.  Well the money may not be as good as I could have gotten in my previous job, but I sure do love what I am doing.....  Isn't that what it is all about?  Enjoying what we do!

Pam

1 Comments:

At June 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

www.meherinternational.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home