Chestnut Oak Fibers

Pam Baker Howard - Weaver~Fiber Artist~Teacher - Brasstown, North Carolina

Monday, July 16, 2012

What a Colorful Summer I am Having!

Boy has this summer flown by.  It is now the middle of July and before you know it summer will be over.  This is the time when I take advantage of being outdoors and can do some dyeing.  I sometime think that once you have mastered the ability to wind a warp and weave it off you can get bored.  I guess that happened to me.  A number of years ago I started to dye...that is in coloring not as in death!

It is so enjoyable to get my dyes that I use for dyeing on cottons, rayon, bamboo and silk.  These dyes are called MX dyes.

It is so satisfying to be able to place color where you want it.  Blending colors either in a measuring cup or mixing them right on the warp.   Yes, it can be messy to dye but, for the most part the satisfaction of making a one of a kind fabric is wonderful.  

I have posted some photos of a couple of scarves and dyed warps I have done this summer.  I first dyed the warp and then wove the scarves.  This is the same technique that I teach in one of my weaving classes at the John C. Campbell Folk School.  The class is called "Dyeing to Weave a Scarf".  I will be teaching that class again, April 21 - 27, 2013.

Well I need to get back to the loom and finish weaving some fabric that is called Dimity.  I will share with you what will happen to this fabric in the next blog.

For now just enjoy the color!
Pam






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home